The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act) authorizes the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to provide reimbursement incentives for eligible professionals who are successful in becoming “meaningful users” of certified electronic health record (EHR) technology.
Under Medicare, physicians will be eligible for up to the following amount as soon as they can demonstrate Meaningful Use (beginning in 2011):
Year Physician Becomes a Meaningful User/Payment Per Year
|Meaningful Use Year||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||Total|
|2013||$ –||$ –||$15,000||$12,000||$8,000||$4,000||$39,000|
|2014||$ –||$ –||$ –||$12,000||$8,000||$4,000||$24,000|
|2015||$ –||$ –||$ –||$ –||$ –||$ –||$0|
NOTE: Physicians operating in a “provider shortage area” will be eligible for an incremental increase of 10% in their bonus payments.
To take advantage of these incentives you must be able to demonstrate “Meaningful Use” of Healthcare IT. You must use a certified EHR system (Electronic Health Records), and you need to use the EHR for:
- ePrescribing, an accurate and secure way to transmit and manage the patient prescription process, delivering improved care and convenience, as well as decreased risk for all parties.
- Interoperability, the ability to share clinical data with other medical systems and connecting patients, providers, referral providers, and other key stakeholders to deliver a synchronized view of the patient health history.
- Reporting on specified clinical quality measures.
HITECH’s (Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health) incentives and assistance programs seek to seek to improve the health of Americans and the performance of their health care system through “meaningful use” of EHRs to achieve five health care goals.
- Improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of care while reducing disparities.
- Engage patient and families in their care.
- Promote public and populate health.
- Improve care coordination.
- Promote the privacy and security of EHRs.
We understand that establishing meaningful use to qualify for electronic health record stimulus incentives while achieving ease of use for the physician in the clinical setting are key considerations. Our web-based EHR increases quality of case, enhances patient satisfaction, improves office productivity, facilitates adherence to the compliance guidelines, supports data information exchange within the continuum of care, and captures more revenue when used in conjunction with our Revenue Management Module.
For more details, please visit our corporate website here: http://www.advancedmd.com/products-solutions/emr-ehr/meaningful-use/